APPLICATION PROCESS AND ADMITTANCE CRITERIA PROCESS
The following steps must be followed in order to qualify to rent a home from Action Property Management:
- Call, email, or visit our office to discuss the property and/or visit our website to view photos and a description.
- Read and sign the Admittance Policy, below. All adults must read and sign the document before Action Property Management will make an appointment to show the inside of our properties.
- Make an appointment with Action Property Management to view the inside of the property. You must view a property in person to make sure it is a good fit before we will accept your rental application.
- If after viewing the inside of the property you decide to apply, fill in the Rental Application form and pay the screening fee. This can be done online or on a paper form. All screening applications require a $41 screening fee, from each adult, by money order, credit card, or online, payable to Rental Services, Inc. Married couples may use one screening application but must each pay the fee. Screening fees are non-refundable. It takes a minimum of 48 hours to screen an applicant. No screening is considered complete until all information is received from the screening agency. If your references do not respond within 24 hours of being contacted by the screening agency, it will delay your application. If your application is so delayed, Action Property Management reserves the right to screen other applicants for the property you have applied for and will no longer consider you in first position.
- Once notified that your screening is complete and meets our standards, you will have 48 hours to sign a pre-lease and submit fee to hold the property. The fee is 25% of the monthly rental price and will be applied to your security deposit when you sign a lease. If you fail to meet this time limit you will no longer be considered to be in first position for the property. If you do not move into the property applied for as agreed, the hold fee will be forfeited to Action Property Management.
- We do not accept comprehensive reusable tenant screening reports.
- In order to be in first position for a home you must read and sign this policy document, tour the inside of the property, and submit a rental application. Emailing, calling, or signing and returning this policy document does not put you in line.
- ALL applicants with a pet or service animal or companion animal must create a profile at PetScreening.com before we will process your rental application. There is a $20 pet profile application fee (additional pets are $15 each). Companion and service animal profiles are free. To learn more please watch a short video at this link.
- State Law requires that we not give out screening result information to anyone, including the applicant.
- No applicant shall be declined residency on the basis of race, color, sex, religion, national origin, disability, familial status, age, or source of verifiable legal income.
Please read our Admittance Criteria, below. It describes how we score your application once we receive the screening report from Rental Services, Inc. Every adult applicant for residency must be able meet the criteria outlined below or will not qualify to rent from Action Property Management.
RESIDENT ADMITTANCE POLICY
Purpose of this Admittance Policy:
- To provide a standardized guideline for admitting residents into Action Property Management properties.
- To ensure that all applicants are treated fairly, equally, and to eliminate the possibility of discrimination in rental decisions.
- To ensure that only responsible tenants, who will pay rent on time and maintain the rental property, are admitted to Action Property Management properties.
SCORING: Each applicant's screening report will be reviewed for two types of adverse information: NEGATIVES and TERMINALS. If three or more NEGATIVE items are found in a report, the applicant will be rejected. Each and every occurrence of a NEGATIVE listed below will be considered a point. If any one TERMINAL item is found, the applicant will be rejected.
NEGATIVES: The following items are considered negative items:
- Any credit account with any 30 days or more late payments in the last five years.
- Any credit account that is currently rated more than 30 days late.
- Any credit account which is rated as having gone to collection.
- Any collection, judgement, bankruptcy, or lien.
- Any landlord references that include more than one late payment.
- Any instance of a damage deposit which was not returned due to damage to the rental unit (beyond normal wear and tear).
- Any instance of proper Notice to Vacate not being given to a landlord.
- Any instance of unauthorized pets or persons occupying a unit rented to the applicant.
- Any instance of a lease being broken by the applicant.
- Any bank reference which shows any NSF checks in the previous 24 months.
TERMINALS: The following items are considered terminal, and are sufficient to decline the application:
- Applicant writes a check for screening that is not accepted by Rental Services, Inc.
- Applicant possesses no valid picture identification, state or federal or foreign passport.
- Any OPEN bankruptcy (a bankruptcy to which new claims can still be added).
- Any collection filed by a property management company.
- Any eviction or Unlawful Detainer action.
- Any search of public records that determines that the applicant(s) have been convicted of, or pled guilty or no-contest to, any felony or misdemeanor within the past ten (10) years involving theft, dishonesty, assault, domestic violence, intimidation, prostitution, drug related or weapons charges, obscenity and related violations (ORS 167.060 through 167.100), sex crimes and/or child sex crimes.
- Any felony or misdemeanor action that requires applicant(s) to be listed on a Sex Offender Registry.
- Any rent or damage claims due from a past tenancy.
- Any current 3-Day Notice.
- Any income level or combined income level, in the case of married applicants, but not in the case of co-applicants, which is less than three times the rent of the unit applied for.
- Any conviction for: manufacture of illegal drugs; use of illegal drugs; selling of illegal drugs; possession of illegal drugs.
- Any employment references which states that the applicant will be terminated in the near future, where other income is less than 3 times the rent of the unit applied for.
- Any false, misleading or incomplete information by the applicant on the written application.
- Any history of disruptive behavior, or of living or housekeeping habits that would pose a direct threat to the health and safety of other individuals.
- Any applicant that smokes or vapes.
- Any applicant that has a water bed.
- Applicant has too many people for the size of property applied for. Two people per bedroom, maximum.
EXTENUATING CIRCUMSTANCES: In some cases, Action Property Management may feel that an applicant who does not qualify under this policy might still be an acceptable risk due to extenuating circumstances. Such circumstances might include (but are not limited to) severe medical problems, recent death of a spouse, a temporary period of unemployment in the past, negative information confined to a single landlord reference, etc. If you have extenuating circumstances, we would advise you to present the circumstances to Action Property Management before your application is processed.
Action Property Management alone reserves the right to make the final decision to accept or decline any application that does not meet our residence admittance policy.